From: "Jesse
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Cheap Gentoo firewall hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:41:12
1 Mine's the circa 2001 BEFSX41. I see that there's actually new firmware
2 out. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot. The killer is that there's no
3 way to export settings, except for browser screenshots in my Wiki.
4
5 Ooooo...scanning eBay and openwrt.org for the WRT54GS looks like that
6 may be even cheaper than my Slug idea. It's not a Gentoo solution, but
7 it'll let me connect my three other Gentoo boxes. ;)
8
9 Thanks!
10
11 Rich
12
13 -----Original Message-----
14 From: Andrew Gaffney [mailto:agaffney@g.o]
15 Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:48 AM
16 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
17 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Cheap Gentoo firewall hardware
18
19 Jesse, Rich wrote:
20 > I'm sick of my
21 > Linksys 4-port router bouncing everytime it gets too much UDP traffic
22 > (e.g. Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament, and later versions of
23 Azureus)
24
25 Is it one of the linux-based models? Are you using the stock firmware?
26 Have you
27 tried openwrt (or its brethren)?
28
29 If it's not capable of running linux, you can pick up an older WRT54GS
30 (or one
31 of the many similar pieces of hardware from various manufacturers). I'm
32 running
33 openwrt on my WRT54GS v1.1, and I'm much happier with it than the stock
34 firmware.
37 Andrew Gaffney
38 http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
39 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer