From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] OT - Samba ADS
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 20:52:25
1 On Friday 20 May 2005 02:38 pm, Sean Cook wrote:
2 > About a month ago, some one posted a great link/howto on integrating samba
3 > with win2k. I have in advertantly lost that email and can't find it while
4 > googling... if anyone has that please send to me off line and I will crawl
5 > back into the whole from which I came.
6 >
7 > Sean
8
9 Hi Sean,
10
11 I posted this to the list a little bit ago, and in the off chance it may be
12 what you were looking for, I thought I would post it again...
15 I have actually set this up as an NT domain, as close to ADS as I could
16 possibly get. The implementation was a little tricky, but it involves
17 (heimdal)kerberos, sasl, openldap, pam, djbdns, dhcp, and samba. A web
18 document I had found helped me significantly when I approached technical
19 issues:
20 http://www.opentechnet.com/auth-howto/
21
22 Along the lines of replacing ADS, I think this is as close as you may get.
23 The thing that sets Microsoft's ADS apart is that they use a form of Remote
24 Procedure Calls that implements a lot of the leg work. This makes microsoft
25 incompatible against samba.
26
27 In AD mode, a Microsoft computer won't authenticate against a linux host
28 (though it would as a PDC in NT mode) since it would be trying to communicate
29 in misc forms of RPC talk. On the flip side, it should be possible to
30 authenticate samba against ADS. Here is a tool that allows for flexibilty
31 with authentication under windows:
32 http://pgina.xpasystems.com/info/
33
34 As far as drawbacks, that's it. I haven't seen anything wrong with doing it
35 NT style, and with all of the added bells and whistles.
36
37 I don't know the specifics, but the SMB-TNG is a lot more bleeding edge
38 technology when it comes to samba in an enterprise environment. It may
39 provide you with a solution closer to what you are looking for:
40 http://www.samba-tng.org
41
42 I had a lot of fun setting this up! ;)
43
44 Regards,
45
46 Robert
49 echo "Your stdio isn't very std."
50 -- Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution
51 --
52 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list