From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:17:42
1 Just to throw my two-devil's-advocate-cents in here, I maintain a gentoo server and --
2 though I certainly appreciate getting well-tested, problem-free updates -- I think the
3 biggest problem gentoo faces is how far behind the curve it is. It's just plain
4 embarassing that there are still no (unmasked) versions of PHP5, MySQL4.1 or 5, or Java
5 5/Tomcat 5.5 in portage... all of which have been freely available for over a year.
6
7 I understand that it's an all volunteer effort and I really do appreciate all the work of
8 the devs. However, as counter-point to this discussion of a stable tree, I am wondering
9 aloud if the developers' time might be better spent catching gentoo up with the rest of
10 the world (esp. FreeBSD).
11
12 Like I say, just my .02...
13