From: "Jean-François Maeyhieux" <b4b1@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] interesting occurence
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:26:23
1 On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 18:04, Ben Munat wrote:
2
3 > Here's a weird occurence that has me stumped. Logged into my gentoo
4 > server and did an "ls" in root's home directory. Mixed in with all the
5 > files I expected in there were a number of empty text files... and
6 > here's the strange part: the names of the files were random snippets
7 > from an email that I received a while back!
8 >
9 > Now, if I remember correctly, that email was actually routed to root, so
10 > I guess at least the email that got sliced up into file names did come
11 > from root's maildir... it didn't come from somewhere else on the system.
12 > But I had thrown that email away a long time ago... though, I haven't
13 > done an "ls" in root's home dir in a while, so I'm not sure how long the
14 > files have been there.
15 >
16 > Well, I'm running qmail... anyone have any ideas how text from a mail
17 > file gets scattered around as names of files?
18 >
19 > Ben
23 Working with a lot of text files all days... I think i know what have
24 happen... I get used to have sometimes suddenly a lot of strange
25 files... In fact, most of the time it's just a bad COPY/PASTE with the
26 mouse in a shell that lead to lot of "no such file..." or sometimes if
27 the shell find an interpretation, the creation of files occurs... When
28 it's too much strange, the reason is often twisted...
29 Anyone agree with me ?
30
31 Tuttle
32
33 PGP/GPG Public Key
34 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x63DB4770
35 Key fingerprint = 4766 39E7 F30A FA2C 71A0 C6C8 1D54 72F5 63DB 4770