From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] eradicating devfs
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:05:48
1 Dadi said:
2 > Hi again,
3 > Is there a way I can get rid of devfs? I do not find it usefull at all.
4 > The
5 > bigget problem is when I plug my pda in the usb and ttyUSB does not get
6 > created. Also, the oss device does not get created.
7 > However, gentoo came with it, so I am stuck with it.
8 > Can I unmerge it and revert to minor, major access mode?(this is the
9 > desired way of things for me)
10 > If so, how can this be done?(I know I tried gentoo nodevfs some time ago
11 > and things got bad)
12
13 Try udev (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml)
14
15 If you still got problems, do one of the following
16
17 1. recompile your kernel to not have devfs or just not mount it at boot,
18 then add 'gentoo=nodevfs' to your kernel args
19
20 2. If you do not want to recompile your kernel, and its set to mount devfs
21 at boot, add 'gentoo=nodevfs devfs=nomount' to your kernel args
25 Joe Booker