From: "Spahn
To: "gentoo-server@l.g.o" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Server Packages for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:48:53
1 As the one who started this thread, it probably makes sense for me to comment on this a bit, because I agree. Gentoo is a distribution that has a utopian (IMHO) mixture of flexibility and compatibility. It is designed to accommodate such a wide variety of applications, that mailing lists like this one are necessary for certain niches. I would choose Gentoo for a server OS because it is so deeply compatible with hardware, and because of the package management system. Many on this thread have complained about Portage in a server environment, but the default installation only requires the initial emerge --sync- there's no emerge system or emerge world that is mandated or automated. Packages can be masked or blocked at the package level, or the machine level, and it is relatively easy to set up a local rsync mirror to update emerge, which can then be a point of control for all servers on the network, if they are properly configured. I started this thread, not because Gentoo is not ready for the server room, but because I need to learn more before I set it up for server applications. I have experimented with Redhat, CentOS, FC, Arch, DSL, Mandrake/Mandriva, Debian, FreeBSD, and some other distros, but Gentoo has always been the best when applied to my methods and standards. That's why I ask such questions- I need to identify my weak areas to leverage Gentoo's strong ones.
2
3 Dan
4
5 Computer Systems Manager
6
7 -----Original Message-----
8 From: Robert Bridge [mailto:robert@××××××××.com]
9 Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:34 AM
10 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
11 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server Packages for Gentoo
12
13 On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:55:21 +0100