From: David CHANIAL <david.ml@××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] server profile
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 22:18:36
1 Le Mercredi 07 Juin 2006 08:50, David CHANIAL a écrit :
2 > Is there someone, or somewhere, where we can talk about, and contribute to
3 > the server profile ?
4
5 Hi world,
6
7 thanks to agaffney on irc to talk me about the server project situation. I
8 want to sent this email to "save" the discuss on irc.
9
10 and once again, sorry for my bad english.
11
12 I've somes ideas/questions :
15 => agaffney: "most server-related stuff is happening behind the scenes and not
16 really associated with the "server project""
17
18 <= So, what is really wait by the Gentoo-Server-Project ?
19 <= Thoses things are not answered by the "ideas" happened "behind the scenes"
22 => agaffney: "for example, another dev and I are working on a "stable tree""
23
24 <= What is "glep 19" ?
25 <= There is a good idea
28 => The idea (that i understand) :
29
30 - With a new release, a new server-tree.
31 - May be, at a new release, the older server-tree is deleted and no longer
32 supported.
33 - Infortunatly, the emerge way for update from 2006.0-server-tree to
34 2006.1-server-tree is not usable.
35
36 <= I think the project _have to_ provide and updating howto for two successive
37 release of the server-tree. because updates as dev-php/php to dev-lang php,
38 or apache "new" configuration skel, etc... imply too much news/differents
39 flags, folders etc...
40 The server maintain envirronement _have to_ provide a minimum of update which
41 imply configuration changes, or skels change (etc...) so if this update is
42 _needed_ for security reason, or for new server-tree update, the upgrade way
43 have to be explained and "supported" by bugs/irc/mailing way ?
44
45 Best regards,
46 --
47 David CHANIAL - Euro Web SARL - http://www.euro-web.fr
48 Location de serveurs dédiés infogérés
49 Infogérance et consulting
50 Hébergement mutualisé sur mesure
51 Serveurs de jeux
54 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list