From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] "hardened" flag ignored after portage update ...
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:43:01
1 On 11/09/06, Tomek Lutelmowski <tomek@×××××.pl> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:59:44 +0100, Kerin Millar wrote
3 > > The standard amd64 hardened profile isn't multilib enabled anyway
4 > > (whereas hardened/amd64/multilib is). I agree with Mike, you'd be
5 > > better of doing it the "right way" and using the correct profile.
6 > > That's what they're there for :)
7 >
8 > I see, unfortunately this "hardened" profile has old glibc and gcc packages.
9 > Of course I cant revert to old version of glibc in my system :-(
10
11 Ah, that's true - glibc-2.4 (and gcc-4 for that matter) is vetoed in
12 the hardened profile (see
13 /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/package.mask). Given that you're
14 already using the newer version of glibc, you could simply try
15 overriding this policy and unmasking it:
16
17 echo "=sys-libs/glibc-2.4*" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
18
19 The alternative approach would be to prevent the profile you are using
20 now from masking the hardened USE flag which, if memory serves
21 correctly would be accomplished as follows:
22
23 echo "-hardened" >> /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
24
25 I would still recommend adapting the hardened profile to your needs
26 rather than vice versa.
27
28 Cheers,
29