From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] mysql updates
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:24:09
1 Since I'm retiring on 2006-01-08 I've spent some time trying
2 to leave a more manageable situation for the other part of
3 mysql-team.
4
5 The user visible changes are mostly that test should always work
6 and for crazy 5.1 users a "pbxt" that enable build of an external
7 storage engine.
8
9 Developer side stuff:
10 - Patch are all included in a single tar ball, with an "000_index.txt"
11 inside it used to chose what need to be applied and inform users
12 of what the patch does.
13 - Better support for bitkeeper snapshots.
14 - Support for bitkeeper live builds.
15 - Slotting on micro version to allow testing more versions at the
16 same time.
17 - /etc/{conf,init}.d/my* moved to sys-apps/mysql and shared by all
18 dev-db/mysql* packages.
19 - there some brain dumped, documentation that must be read
20 cum granus salis and not trusted blindly here:
21 http://dev.gentoo.org/~vivo/doc/mysql-eclass-guide.xml
22 back upped here:
23 http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/mysql/browser/docs
24
25 There are also versions of the eclass with "slotted" and "bitkeeper"
26 code stripped to evaluate code complexity reduction if needed, since
27 these are developer-only features those can be removed at any time.
28
29 mysql{,_fx}_noslot.eclass mysql_nobitkeeper.eclass
30 http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/mysql/browser/testing/eclass
31
32 The changes will be in-tree in few hours
35 BTW, I had a really great time with Gentoo and learned many things,
36 so best wishes to all those who stay, and remember to have fun.
37
38 Francesco (vivo) Riosa
39 --
40 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list