From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] easy explanation of the strength of 3DES (and perhaps also IDEA)?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:52:31
1 Martin Hajduch wrote:
2
3 > both are enough secure ciphers with respect to current state of
4 > cryptanalysis
5 > if you want to develop your own app, you may prefer 3DES because IDEA
6 > is patented (AFAIK)
7 > on the other side,
8
9 I don't get it. Does this mean, if I use IDEA over SSL to secure my
10 website which provide application services to end users, I must pay for
11 pattent? Or only mean if I wish to develop and *release* my application
12 using IDEA? In first case, I am myself an end user / web content
13 producer of IDEA, in the latter case, I am the software vendor, not end
14 user. Do I have to pay IDEA patent as end user?
15
16 > IDEA is faster (current implementation of IDEA are approx twice as
17 > fast as DES implementations)
18
19 Do you mean IDEA is approx twice as fast as 3DES in case of SSL?