From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Active Directory integration
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:14:52
1 On 9/1/06, Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu> wrote:
2 > I've recently begun administrating a site that has about 20 Linux
3 > servers of various flavors, another 25 Windows 2003 servers, and soon 15
4 > Apple Xserves. Previously no real policies of any sort existed, so I've
5 > been trying to consolidate servers and users and what not. On the
6 > Windows side this was fairly easily accomplished via Active Directory.
7 > I've begun setting up our new Apple XRaid and it's cluster nodes. While
8 > doing this I noticed that it has some built in support for Active
9 > Directory authentication, which got me to thinking whether I could also
10 > integrate all the Linux servers into this scheme.
11 >
12 > Basically I would like to use Active Directory to manage users, groups,
13 > and passwords. Then have the Linux servers hit up against this using
14 > LDAP to translate the uid and gids for some ssh access, filesystem
15 > access via Samba and ftp, a few email accounts for use with
16 > postfix/dovecot, web authentication, etc. I would also like to make
17 > sure I can change passwords on the Linux side.
18 >
19 > My limited understanding says that this is similar to an OpenLDAP setup
20 > through pam/nss with the further modification of remapping some
21 > attributes to Active Directory ones (or altering the AD schema, which
22 > seems unnecessary to me). Oh, and then there's Kerberos to deal with,
23 > which I need to do some more research on.
24 >
25 > I would like to know if there's anyone out there who's tried to or
26 > successfully accomplished this and whether it's any better or worse than
27 > setting up a separate OpenLDAP server. I'd prefer to keep it in one
28 > directory, but also don't want to cause myself any unnecessary headaches.
29
30 I would look at Samba's winbind for this. I know people who have had
31 great success with this approach and it is far less intense than what
32 you are suggesting.
33
34 -Mike
38 Michael E. Crute
39 http://mike.crute.org
40
41 I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
42 up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
43 --
44 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list