From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup software
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:12:10
1 Nigel,
2
3 There's something I don't understand in your setup. What does
4 exactly boxbackup store in your backup server? Do you have an exact copy
5 of the backed up system? Do you have the possibility of reverting the
6 original system to its state on a given date?
7
8 Best regards
9 Jose
10
11 Nigel Marsh wrote:
12
13 >I don't know about better. Box backup means that my clients never have to
14 >change a tape, store it somewhere off site or even think about their backups.
15 >we take care of that on the server alone.
16 >
17 >It works a little like rsync so large files only have the changed section
18 >backed up as a patch. It can also be told to work like tape but I only ever
19 >use it in its lazy rsync style mode.
20 >
21 >A few points (in no particular order) that are expanded upon on the web site.
22 >http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup
23 >
24 >The data is encrypted over the wire:
25 >
26 >The data is encrypted in storage:
27 >clients don't need to trust us not to peek
28 >
29 >The compression ratio is fairly good:
30 >The first one I see before me here is a very small business with 23G of data.
31 >They are using 11G on the backup server.
32 >
33 >backups occur only when there is data to back up:
34 >By default the client checks for changes approximately every hour. If there is
35 >something new then it is backed up or if a file has changed then, the diff is
36 >backed up. The hourly backup means you get a small trickle of network usage
37 >rather than a deluge at set backup times.
38 >
39 >It uses system raid or will impliment its own userland raid.
40 >
41 >After the initial transfer, the data over the wire is minimal:
42 >As all my clients are backing up via adsl links, I do the initial backup on
43 >site with a clone of the main backup server ( a gentoo laptop with a firewire
44 >drive ) and then transfer this to the main server.
45 >
46 >Recovery is trivial and involves using an ftp like interface on the client.
47 >
48 >A native win32 client is currently in the works as is an OSX one.
49 >
50 >if for some reason the backup server is unavailable, the client will just keep
51 >trying every 5 minutes until it is.
52 >
53 >A client is allocated a soft and hard limit of space on the server. When the
54 >limit is reached the files are rotated with the oldest versions of a file
55 >being removed first.
56 >
57 >Old versions of your files are still available unless of course they have been
58 >removed during the rotation.
59 >
60 >Once set up, it is a no brainer. Watch the logs and get on with something more
61 >important.
62 >
63 >This backup server is behind a lowly 1Mb adsl link. It currently stores 200G
64 >of clients data and the trickle of backup traffic that comes over it doesn't
65 >even interupt a UT2K4 session. ;)
66 >
67 >Well, that is my situation with this software. If you are interested in it, I
68 >would suggest that you join the mailing list. Ben is very accessible and is
69 >very open to questions and suggestions.
70 >
71 >I have been using this with my clients now for about 6 months and have not had
72 >a single problem.
73 >
74 >I would like to see a client ported to my zaurus. :)
75 >
76 >That may have been a little more than you asked for and I only just got around
77 >to answering the question about picking something not in portage.
78 >
79 >The install of this is so trivial that I cannot see it being in portage is any
80 >great advantage. You run the usual ./configure make make-backup-client 0r
81 >make-backup-server. The binaries are in /usr/loca/bin and it is time for the
82 >very simple setup. If I get some time and noone beats me to it I may cut my
83 >ebuild teeth on this simple app.
84 >
85 >Nige.
86 >