From: Benjamin Smee <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Ryan Lynch <lynch.r.j@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] DNS, Firewall and Mail Server.
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:16:25
1 lo,
2
3 On Monday 30 May 2005 16:00, Ryan Lynch wrote:
4 > On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:37:16 +0200
5 >
6 > Peter Eis <eis@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
7 > > Rodrigo Schulte wrote:
8 > > >Hi!
9 > > >Please,
10 > > >I looking for the most used, more documentation, the best, etc... DNS,
11 > > >Firewall and Mail Server.
12
13 Everyone is going to have their own preferences for these utilities and their
14 own reasons for doing so. In my opinion if you are looking to do serious
15 deployments of the above (read performance / scalibility / uptime are
16 important) then the following would be my pick:
17
18 * dns - bind. Bind continues to be the main dns implementation and while some
19 people like other lighter altnatives I find that they tend not to have
20 dnssec / tsig implementations that are important to me.
21
22 * firewall - like the other people here I recommend shorewall due to its
23 complete solutions. Another option to consider is fwbuilder which basically
24 provides a nice gui to generating your own iptable configs.
25
26 * mail - this question is perhaps the most loaded of them all. In my opinion
27 its hard to beat postfix + cyrus + ldap for serious deployments. Ldap is
28 optimised for lookups and beats db's in this regard, its also lighter and
29 easier to replicate. Cyrus itself continues to be the most important imap
30 implementation and drives most of the new features. It is also very scalable
31 and performant. postfix is light years ahead of qmail :) /me waits patiently
32 for the flames.
33
34 b
35 --
36 Benjamin Smee (strerror)
37 497F 5E98 1FA0 C313 EA0B 08C7 004A 66ED 448B E78C