From: Jeremy Kitchen <kitchen@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] qmail woes
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 20:32:46
1 On Friday 28 May 2004 01:22 pm, Ben Munat wrote:
2
3 > PPS: Something else I've been meaning to ask: isn't there a certain
4 > amount of risk in setting up qmail to relay all mail originating from
5 > the server? If I eventually have a number of users on this machine
6 > couldn't one of them abuse this priviledge?
7
8 they can't already just use /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject to inject messages?
9 Or call qmail-queue directly? Hell, they could even do this:
10 RELAYCLIENT="" tcpserver 0 12345 qmail-smtpd
11 then connect to port 12345, and spam all day!
12
13 If you don't trust your users to not abuse your mail server while they're
14 logged in to it, they shouldn't have a shell on it, period.
15
16 -Jeremy
19 Jeremy Kitchen ++ Systems Administrator ++ Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.
20 jeremy@××××××.com ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 847.492.0470 int'l
21 kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail