From: Sven Wegener <Sven.Wegener@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Disabling screen blanking
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 21:19:22
1 Sven Wegener wrote:
2 > Lance Albertson wrote:
3 >
4 >> Sven Wegener wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Just to make sure, you're doing this on a remote machine over an SSH
7 >>> connection? setterm will echo the control characters to stdout so you
8 >>> have to redirect them at the console, e.g.
9 >>>
10 >>> setterm -blank 0 >/dev/tty1
11 >>>
12 >>> Hope this helps.
13 >>> Sven
16 >> I tried it here on a machine at work on the console and it didn't
17 >> appear to
18 >> work. Unless I missed some option.
19 >
20 > No option missed, but your current terminal (ssh pty, mostly TERM=xterm)
21 > lacks support of the blank extension. That's why they are not echo'ed
22 > when invoking setterm -blank, the following should do the trick:
23 >
24 > TERM=linux setterm -blank 0 >/dev/tty1
25
26 Just for completeness, I looked again at the setterm man-page: setterm
27 also has a nifty command line option for overriding the TERM env variable.
28
29 setterm -term linux -blank 0 >/dev/tty1
30
31 should also work and is more straight forward.
32
33 Sven