From: Christian Bricart <christian@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:30:58
1 Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > Ronan Mullally wrote:
6 >> Back to the original question. How do I run a number of gentoo boxes
7 >> without gcc (or a portage tree)?
8 >
9 > WIll sound like a joke, but my answer would be "without running gentoo".
10 > It's a source-based distro.
11 > ..
12
13 nonsense - of course you're able to maintain your own $BINHOST which
14 compiles the packages (--buildpkg[only]) and have other servers in your
15 farm that have the same $arch and USE-flags and use "emerge
16 --{get,use}binpkg .." on them
17
18 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=3#doc_chap4
19
20 then actually you only need "tar" and "b[un]zip2" on the target.
21
22 remark: add those keys to $FEATURES in /etc/make.conf and tweak the
23 servers' repository links to your local buildhost(s) and Portage
24 mirrors...
25
26 Works like charm here - I've got a central host here to build all packages
27 for identically configured cluster hosts that (e)merge the pre-built
28 packages. It's quite a time saver
29
30 Christian
33 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list