From: "Andrew D. Fant" <andrew.fant@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Looking for pointers in Portage Tree management
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:52:22
1 Afternoon all,
2 I'm buried in designing a build repository for our cluster, and am looking
3 for any pointers to tools that people have written to manage the portage tree,
4 especially with respect to predicting the effect of updates to the tree on the
5 packages in given chroot-able build trees for a central package repository.
6
7 I am planning on building all the packages for a given
8 architecture/configuration in a chroot tree that bind-mounts the portage tree
9 from a central copy maintained on the build server, and installs the packages
10 into a similarly mounted sub-directory of a /usr/portage/packages directory.
11 What I am hoping to accomplish is to be able to run a weekly emerge -Duvp
12 against the a current copy of the portage tree and generate a message that would
13 tell me what would be changed, without permanently updating the tree to a newer
14 version. Ideally, finding a mechanism for selectively updating the tree on a
15 package by package basis would be nice, but that's a future problem I think. I
16 suspect the best way to accomplish some of this would be to essential mirror the
17 portage tree in cvs or subversion locally, but I'd rather not start from
18 scratch. If anyone has set something like this and has any experience or
19 scripts that they can share to give me a running start, I would be most grateful
20
21 Thanks,
22 Andy
25 PS: at one point, there was a website about a university lab in New Zealand that
26 had a centralized package repository system running under Gentoo. I can't seem
27 to find this page anymore. Does anyone have a pointer to it? thanks. adf
30 Andrew Fant | The lion and the calf shall lie | Disclaimer:
31 andrew.fant@×××××.edu | down together, but the calf won't | Do you REALLY
32 TCCS/USG | get much sleep. | think I can
33 Tufts University | W. Allen | speak for Tufts?
34 --
35 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list