From: Rob Baxter <burn@××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Changing CFLAGS
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:47:51
1 If you changed the processor type or processor flags for the CFLAG
2 variable, emerge -e world will recompile everything with those new
3 flags. As far as I know, that is the best way to do it. Use Lance's
4 example for USE changes.
5
6 Rob
7
8 Karl Zander wrote:
9
10 > If I make changes to CFLAGS in make.conf do I have re-compile
11 > everything with the new CFLAGS ?
12 >
13 > emerge -e world
14 >
15 > Or can the existing packages use the CFLAGS they were compiled with
16 > and when I update packages or add new packages they would use the new
17 > CFLAGS. Will Gentoo become unstable if mixed CFLAGS are used? Same
18 > with USE....if I change USE flags will that cause harm to existing
19 > packages?
20 >
21 > On the first Gentoo system I set up a few month ago I did not
22 > understand what CFLAGS and USE flags were all about so I did not
23 > change any of the defaults. I would like to go back to adjust things
24 > now.
25 >
26 > -Karl
27 >