From: Tamas Karpati <tkarpati@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] experiences with Gentoo on a Tyan Thunder K8QW (S4881)?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:34:50
1 Dear all,
2
3 Do you have any experience with parallel computations on an S4881
4 with 4 single or dual core Opterons? The goal is to have a system
5 flexible enough to run
6 - a single thread job using all the available memory and
7 - one or more multithreaded jobs sharing the physical RAM.
8 I hope these two extremes cover the cases of future simulations.
9
10 What are the limitations? Are there problems like missing (eg. by-BIOS
11 PCI-asigned) half gigs as with other mobs? Speed penalties with special
12 RAM-populations? Scaling? Experiences with the extension to 8
13 processors, single core vs. dual core? Etc...
14
15 I have good experiences with Gentoo on dual Athlon and Opteron systems,
16 as well as with dual core Intel Centino so I just want to be sure before
17 suggesting the S4881+Gentoo combination...
18
19 Any hints are welcome,
20 Tamas
21 --