From: Simon Striker <simon@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Gentoo for server
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:05:42
1 Hi!
2
3 In the first place I would like to thank everybody for writing a reply
4 to my mail and for all advices and "experiences"!
5
6 When I wrote that all packages in Portage tree are not up to date, I
7 made a literary mistake, because I was thinking in my language and
8 wirting in English. I apologise for all the inconveniences! I wanted
9 to write that SOME of packages ...
10
11 There was one example of available PHP packages in one of arrived
12 mails:
13
14 * dev-php/php :
15 [ ] 4.3.8 (0)
16 [ ~ ] 4.3.9_rc1 (0)
17 [ ] 4.3.9 (0)
18 [M ] 5.0.0 (0)
19 [ ~ ] 5.0.0-r1 (0)
20 [ ~ ] 5.0.1 (0)
21 [ ~ ] 5.0.2 (0)
22 [ I] 5.0.2-r1 (0)
23
24 What I wanted to tell was that if I emerged PHP, I could only emerged
25 the 4.3.9 (stable) version, but with other distro I could install the
26 new, 5.0.2 version ...
27
28 From all your mails I realized that I do not need to install the
29 newest version of packages if I want to keep my server secure. I
30 noticed that it is just important to emerge the security/bug fixes. Am I
31 right?
32
33 I have just decided that I will reinstall my server and install Gentoo
34 on it, but first I will read and study the following articles and some
35 threads on forum:
36
37 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/
38 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/index.xml