From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] deployment server over NFS, feedback
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:51:49
1 Couple things,
2
3 1) I forgot to mention that currently baselayout cannot be packaged, it
4 must be "built" on each server. Annoying but not a huge deal, since the
5 ebuild is mostly file swaping.
6
7 2) Not running 'emerge sync' from each server is actually harmful to the
8 server. You might be able to use 'emerge regen' to mitigate most of
9 this, but I haven't investigated it that fully (since I switched from
10 NFS /usr/portage to a BINHOST).
11
12 3) The .keep file prevents an emerge clean from deleting an empty directory.
13
14 Trust me the BINHOST method works much better than /usr/portage shared
15 over NFS.
16
17 jbw
18