From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Atrocious NFS performance
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:52:40
1 Hi Jeroen,
2 on Saturday, 2006-04-22 at 22:26:43, you wrote:
3 > >Lacking any benchmarks from before the change, that's the best measure I
4 > >have. It might have been the firmware upgrade, but I doubt it. If I have
5 > >to reboot any time soon, maybe I'll do another test to verify it.
6 > >
7 > Rrright.. that's the big disadvantage of having to sort this stuff out
8 > on a production machine :)
9 > We're only now starting to convince (read: force) our developers *not
10 > *to put live code on production systems /before /we have had a chance to
11 > test it.
12 > You know how it goes...
13
14 Sure...actually I tested most of the installation on another machine
15 before switching it over to the server, but it didn't have quite the
16 same hardware. This is a fairly small university department so we just
17 can't justify a second ProLiant box for the occasional upgrade :)
18
19 > Still only 300mbits, though... a server like that should be able to
20 > handle SSH at near-line speed.
21
22 Yup...that one hasn't been faster before either though.
23
24 > >OK, that was a bit misleading, I meant that even assuming things about
25 > >the flat file the scheduler sees of the disk like that offsets in the
26 > >file sort of linearly correspond to cylinders
27 > That *may* be true for old IDE drives, but it isn't even remotely true
28 > for SCSI, which is its own higher-level abstraction on top of the
29 > physical drive interface already,
30
31 Huh? OK, block remapping for error recovery and stuff, but usually you
32 can observe in benchmarks how the transfer rate corresponds to the
33 offset, just like you'd expect it if the offset corresponded to the
34 cylinder.
35
36 > not to mention the layer the SmartArray puts on top of /that/.
37
38 Sure. That's why I was thinking of the NOOP scheduler.
39
40 > >---which is what it does to
41 > >implement things like the elevator algorithm---are virtually always
42 > >right for simple drives but may not be for a RAID.
43 > >
44 > Erm.. that's what I said :)
45
46 Me too :) Just haven't benchmarked NOOP yet but I'm gonna try.
47 Thanks for your input, I'll ask if we can afford the BBWC module...not
48 that anybody was crying for it, but an admin needs a new toy once in a
49 while as well!
50
51 cheers!
52 Matthias
53 --
54 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
55 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665