From: Kirk Smith <ksmith@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:29:55
1 I think option #2 is the best to be first implemeneted. In addition to
2 this, perhaps some mechanism to see the major changes in packages, helping
3 to prevent potential issues, would be prudent. I'm also a big fan of the 1
4 year security patches option that had been mentioned earlier.
5
6 ----------------------------------
7 Kirk Smith
8 Systems Administrator
9 the Illiji network
10 http://www.illiji.net/
11 ----------------------------------
12
13 > All --
14 >
15 > I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question that has come
16 > up
17 > recently.
18 >
19 > There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
20 > we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA for
21 > the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
22 > dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
23 >
24 > If you were given the choice between:
25 >
26 > 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
27 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
28 > * only updated quarterly
29 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
30 > tree
31 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
32 >
33 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
34 >
35 > --kurt