From: Richard Yumul <rmy@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] cron not doing backup
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 04:01:53
1 are you specifying the full path to logger? The environment when a
2 script is run from cron is not always the same as the root env., so you
3 typically have to specify the full path to the program...
4
5 HTH,
6 Rich
10 Ben Munat wrote:
11
12 > What's interesting is that cron ran my backup last night
13 > successfully... but didn't send the output to the log.
14 >
15 > I have lines like "logger "Server backup: blah blah blah"" in my
16 > script and I pipe the rdiff-backup output into logger as well. When I
17 > ran the script from the command line, the output showed up just fine
18 > in the log. But, when cron runs it, not a peep... and no dead.letter
19 > either.
20 >
21 > Oh well, at least my nightly backup is automated now.
22 >
23 > b
26 > Jacob Joseph wrote:
27 >
28 >> I was watching this conversation to see how others do this sort of
29 >> thing and am glad to have learned of dead.letter. Thanks.
30 >>
31 >> Incidentally, I typically do this sort of debugging by just
32 >> redirecting output to a file. That is:
33 >>
34 >> * * * * * root <script> > /tmp/foo 2>&1
35 >>
36 >> It always seems like the easiest way to go.
37 >>
38 >> -Jacob
39 >>
40 >> Aaron Walker wrote: