From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] sendmail
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:54:35
1 On Thu, 2005-19-05 at 09:45 -0500, kashani wrote:
2
3 > Email throughput is highly dependent on how you're generating the
4 > emails, RAM, disk I/O, number of emails sitting in your queue, how
5 > you've ordered your emails, whether bounce handling is local or on
6 > another server, spam filtering if any, and your server software. Even
7 > the speed of your DNS server can start to play a part.
8
9 This is all astute commentary. I agree with all of it. Fine tuning an
10 email system (or any production platform) takes ... finesse. It's not
11 about "installing this software or that software", but about
12 understanding the behaviour of your system as a whole, and then tuning
13 the performance from a position of knowledge, not from one of
14 assumption.
15
16 > 30/sec puts you a bit above 2.5 million a day which is probably the top
17 > end of what you might see in the real world.
18
19 Certainly seems a reasonable score.
20
21 I've run 3-5 million emails a day through a platform based on Qmail.
22 Qmail has architectural bottlenecks on how it processes new messages;
23 likewise you need to take care to shunt traffic to misbehaving domains
24 to alternate queues - but making it sing was little to do with Qmail
25 itself and very much to do with knowing what the group of systems as a
26 whole were doing and making informed judgements thereon.
27
28 AfC
29 Sydney
32 Andrew Frederick Cowie
33
34 Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
35 and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
36 infrastructure.
37
38 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
39