From: dennis@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Corporate Mail server HARDWARE question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:25:31
1 > Reliability is fundamental so I'll buy from a vendor: if something
2 > (hardware) goes wrong you can call them to solve and stop.
3 >
4 Which is why I'd probably buy a server
5
6 > Talking about storage, I'll use SCSI drives and a RAID1 hardware
7 > controller. Ram more than processor is fundamental so try to keep always
8 > a slot free for future upgrades and don't buy ram from vendor but buy it
9 > yourself : it's cheap!
10 >
11 > You should deploy what you know more, since , especially with so many
12 > users, if something goes wrong you have to be fast and effective.
13 >
14 > An inhouse mail server could help to backup mails. You could use imap
15 > [give a try to dovecot, is AMAZING!] and let users access throught the
16 > best imap client, thunderbird [m$ told it :D
17 > http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/02/19/76061.aspx].
18 >
19 Right now there are NO servers......(and no BACKUPS...)
20
21 > File Server and mail server on the mail server? Well if the hardware is
22 > well tuned [check this 3d about xfs tune, with tips on raid1 hw
23 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-397320-highlight-xfs+danneggiato.html
24 > it's in italian but robotranlators can help you ;) ] and the amount of
25 > data is note HUGE you could do it. Number and the size of files matter
26 > either on the fileserver side etheir on the attachments. Use maildir to
27 > improve performances and avoid mailboxes corruption.
30 all the fiels are on the clients now. I'd like those to move to a server
31 so i can back them up. I'll look at amanda, though..... I've seen it, but
32 haven't really investigated it.
33
34 > Talking about backup you can deploy different kind of type. If all the
35 > files are on the server you can use another server as backup or use
36 > tapes . If some files are on the clients, amanda coul help you in
37 > backing up everything you have .
38 >
39 > These are just some tips : good luck!
40 > --
41 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
47 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list