From: Matthew Miller <mmiller1@××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:29:09
1 Kurt,
2
3 I'd definitely prefer the latter (stable branch) option. NO question.
4
5 Here are my reasons:
6 * I really appreciate the non-release updating of workstations, laptops, and packages. I find the current QA reasonable for those purposes and would prefer a stable branch for servers over a somewhat slower but more reliable main branch.
7
8 * I could then build two servers 3 weeks apart, or even 3 months
9 and be assured of having the same e-builds on both.
10 * I could choose to remain current or build a known stable box.
11 * A stable tree would provide a better corporate image, easier
12 to sell to my conservative mgmt.
13 * Even on my stable boxes, I could remain up-to-date on bug-fix
14 and security patches.
15
16 I agree with Jo that certain versions of well-used packages should
17 remain available long after the new versions are released.
18
19 Matthew C. Miller
20 Systems Administrator
21 Intermountain Technology Group
22 208/381.5838
23 mmiller@××××.com
24
25 > -----Original Message-----
26 > From: Kurt Lieber [mailto:klieber@g.o]
27 > Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 1:37 PM
28 > To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
29 > Subject: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
32 > All --
33 >
34 > I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question
35 > that has come up
36 > recently.
37 >
38 > There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand
39 > improvement --
40 > we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a)
41 > improved QA for
42 > the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is
43 > very fluid and
44 > dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise
45 > environments.
46 >
47 > If you were given the choice between:
48 >
49 > 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
50 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
51 > * only updated quarterly
52 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other
53 > changes to the
54 > tree
55 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
56 >
57 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
58 >
59 > --kurt
60 >