From: Chris Smart <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: linux-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 .config for RAID5, help?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:31:41
1 On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:03 am, David Wuertele wrote:
2 > Chris> I have attached a 2.6.8-r4 config (cause that's the latest
3 > Chris> gentoo-dev-sources available) that I made specifically for your
4 > Chris> system, based on the info you have given.
5 >
6 > Thanks! I will try it today. I noticed right away that there were
7 > some differences:
8 >
9 > - You skipped APIC, and PNP (probably not significant...)
10 I should have had pci pnp, but not ISA or BIOS pnp
11
12 > - You enabled APM (probably not significant...)
13 did I? well I meant to have that out, but it doesn't matter - I set up ACPI :)
14
15 > - You set Block Dev RAM Size to 8192 (is this significant?)
16 yeah because this is what boots your kernel if you used genkernel
17
18 > - You set CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="640x480@60" (this is probably
19 > significant)
20 this is only the default resolution for VESA frame buffer, and won't affect
21 the booting of your kernel, but makes it look nice - u can set it higher like
22 1024 for your system if you like
23
24 > - You enabled a logo and FB splash (also probably significant)
25 once again, just perrty things :)
26
27 > - You enabled devfs (but not mount on boot. Hmm...)
28 yes, so that you can easily use udev if you want to (just emerge udev)
29 devfs will still be mounted if you dont' have udev.
30
31 > - You enabled profiling
32 I just left that as it was in default ;)
35 > Chris> You will need to make sure you build the driver for the
36 > Chris> ide-controller statically into your kernel (I have included via
37 > Chris> ide).
38 >
39 > The IDE section of the .config you made for me is identical to the one
40 > I am already using. What is the CONFIG_ for the ide-controller?
41 dunno - depends on your chipset, but from your other email I guess silicon
42 image
45 > Chris> Also, some advice - I notice your raid array consists of drives
46 > Chris> hdc/d/e/f/g This means you must be using master slave
47 > Chris> combinations for IDE drives - this will kill your performance,
48 > Chris> even with raid5 (infact could make is SLOWER than if you just
49 > Chris> had 2 drives in raid1!)
50 >
51 > Yowza: seven IDE drives means seven IDE busses! I only have three PCI
52 > slots, and they would all be full of IDE controllers. Since PCI cards
53 > share interrupts, will interrupt latency then become a bottleneck?
54 true, that is a min-atx, so you only get 3pci.. still 2 ide devices on one ide
55 chain will always be dog slow.
58 > Thanks very much for the detailed advice!
59 NPS! Hope it all helps.
60 Chris
63 > Dave