From: Chris Fisher <chrisf@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo for server
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:02:51
1 Is there an un-official or more official status update of GLEP 19? From
2 the page it looks like it might not have taken off the ground, is this
3 the case?
4
5 -Chris
6
7 On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 19:51 +0100, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
8 > Hi,
9 >
10 > On Tuesday 07 December 2004 00:20, Simon Striker wrote:
11 > > Hi!
12 > >
13 > > I have just installed Gentoo on my laptop and I am very satisfied with
14 > > it! I really like the portage feature and other Gentoo philosophy.
15 > >
16 > > At home and at "week-end house" I have a Linux server with Slackware
17 > > distribution installed. Now I am thinking of reinstalling my servers and
18 > > installing the Gentoo Linux on them, but I am a bit worried
19 > > because all packages in Portage tree are NOT up-to-date.
20 > >
21 > > I am using servers for: Mail-server, web-server, printer-share,
22 > > firewall, router, backup-server, webmail, mysql etc.
23 > >
24 > > I would like to know, how do you maintain your servers? Is it safe to
25 > > have Gantoo as a server?
26 > >
27 > > What do you think of putting all installed packages into
28 > > /etc/portage/packages.keywords (~x86) for server?
29 > >
30 > > I would like to make my Linux server "insensitive" for hackers or
31 > > intruders. Is it possible with Gentoo?
32 > >
33 > > I will be very gratefull to hear some of your opinion or exepriences.
34 > >
35 > > Thanks in advance!
36 >
37 > As a member of the Security Team and employee of a company using Gentoo on our
38 > servers I can say that we release fixes pretty fast.
39 >
40 > We'll most likely do a new survey of how well we're living up to policy
41 > timeframes very soon.
42 >
43 > Also we're currently working on GLEP 19 which might be of interest to you.
44 >
45 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html