From: Eduardo Tongson <propolice@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] other *libc
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:04:46
1 > Hi!
2 >
3 > Is it has sense to switch from glibc to dietlibc or uClibc or maybe other?
4 >
5 > How this can be done in Gentoo?
6 >
7 > Is it possible to have system without glibc at all or I must have glibc
8 > together with dietlibc (for example) and have some software compiled
9 > with glibc and some with dietlibc?
10 >
11 You can try out the uclibc embedded stages here
12 <http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/x86/embedded/stages/>
13 works as a glibc replacement.
14
15 Dietlibc shared libraries are very much experimental too. But using it to
16 compile static binaries is quite reliable in my experience.
17 <http://fefe.de/dietlibc/>
18
19 > How using other *libc will affect server performance (this is most important
20 > question here)?
21
22 YMMV, using dietlibc and uClibc only makes sense with embedded setups
25 > Any problems because of not using glibc?
26 >
27 > Is anybody has real server based on non-glibc?
30 Good luck :-)
31
32 --ed
35 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list