From: Andreas Tasch <ta_list@×××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] can't boot anymore!
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:38:32
1 Davide Cittaro schrieb:
2 >
3 > On Apr 10, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Randy Barlow wrote:
4 >>
5 >> What did you do?
6 >
7 > If I only knew :-(
8 > The fact is that I've never rebooted in a year but, in the meanwhile,
9 > I've kept system up-to-date by regular emerge syncing and system
10 > upgrade... evidently I've emerged (or unmerged) something wrong...
11 >
12 > d
15 > /*
16 > Davide Cittaro
17 >
18 > Cogentech - Consortium for Genomic Technologies
19 > via adamello, 16
20 > 20139 Milano
21 > Italy
22 >
23 > tel.: +39(02)574303007
24 > e-mail: davide.cittaro@×××××××××××××××.it
25 > <mailto:davide.cittaro@×××××××××××××××.it>
26 > */
27
28 Hi Davide,
29
30 sounds like the problem I had some time ago. I did an gcc upgrade but
31 did not do an emerge -e system after that. Something was broken after
32 that and the system did not boot anymore after I had to reboot some
33 months later (it was a remote machine :(). What solved my problem: boot
34 with a live cd or rescue image via pxe and chroot in your system. Do an
35 source /etc/profile and env-update (afairc). Then re-emerge gcc glibc
36 binutils and baselayout and reboot. Do a backup before trying this - you
37 never know :)
38
39 Good Luck,
40 Andy