From: "Einar S. Idsø" <esi@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Remotely upgrading kernel: replacing devfs with udev
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:19:41
1 Hi,
2
3 *Problem:*
4 I have a number of hosts spread around the country running the 2.6.12
5 kernel. I need to upgrade to 2.6.18, which requires udev to replace
6 devfs. Is there any way I can prepare /dev for this upgrade so the hosts
7 will boot without human interaction/booting with CD-ROM?
8
9 *Details:*
10 When I previously upgraded my own laptop a year or so ago, this led to
11 the lack of certain dev-nodes upon boot (/dev/console and /dev/null, I
12 believe), causing a kernel panic. I fixed that by booting with cd-rom
13 and recreating the necessary nodes, as described in section 3 here:
14 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
15
16 This is of unfortunately not an option for my hosts since the majority
17 don't run any form of LOM, and getting a tech to stand by each host,
18 boot the Rescue-CD and do all sorts of stuff is a major hassle.
19
20 *Possible solution:*
21 I think a possible solution may be to do the following while the host is
22 still running its old kernel:
23
24 mount --bind / /mnt/point
25 cd /mnt/point/dev
26 mknod -m 660 console c 5 1
27 mknod -m 660 null c 1 3
28 cd /
29 umount /mnt/point
30
31 Will/should this work? If not: Any other suggestions?
32
33 Cheers,
34 Einar S. Idsø
35 --