From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: general advise on running a package repository
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:13:06
1 On Friday 03 February 2006 22:00, MIkey wrote:
2 > Each server type (web-servers, dns-servers, etc..) gets its own meta
3 > package via the overlays that determines what apps are compiled.
4
5 I intended to do that - great idea and heads to a more standard set of server
6 installs - that's certainly where I want to be
7
8 > Got all that
9
10 Yeah - that's fantastic, although one issue does remain...
11
12 if you have 10 web servers, then they all use the same 'build profile' or
13 whatever y ou called them, that's fantastic. However... what if on 2 of them,
14 we want apache 'threads' enabled, and on 4 of them we want hardened PHP
15 patches, but we don't want it on all of them due to some issue with the patch
16 (this is all hypotetical). Lets also pretend that these 2 exceptions
17 overlap, 1 threaded server, 1 threaded with hardened php, 3 hardened php, and
18 5 'standard' web servers.
19
20 This means there's now 4 profiles, and 4 lots of build profiles to maintain,
21 99% of the packages in these build profiles will use identical use flags,
22 only apache and php will be different - your system doens't allow for these
23 exceptions very nearly, which is my biggest concern.
24
25 I do entirly agree that standardisation is the way to go , but I want to be
26 able to neatly handle the exceptions - because unfortunatly, they will
27 happen.
28
29 Many thanks for your reply, it's certainly food for thought.
30
31 Kind Regards,
32
33 Ian