From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Gentoo build server
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:13:21
1 Joby Walker said:
2
3 >>>2) Not running 'emerge sync' from each server is actually harmful to the
4 >>>server. You might be able to use 'emerge regen' to mitigate most of
5 >>>this, but I haven't investigated it that fully (since I switched from
6 >>>NFS /usr/portage to a BINHOST).
7 >>
8 >> Any chance you could expand on this more? It's starting to sound like it
9 >> may be more difficult than expected to maintain a central
10 >> portage/package
11 >> source for all of our servers.
14 > An "emerge sync" runs a lot of maintenance on the /var/db/pkg and
15 > /var/cache/edb directories. As packages are relabeled or recategorized,
16 > "emerge sync" re-orgs your /var caches to reflect the new structure. If
17 > this maintenance doesn't happen you will start getting dependancy errors
18 > when trying to install a package. This happened to me with Perl.
19
20 So, if each system should have emerge sync ran on it to keep these caches
21 in good shape, then /usr/portage will be updated on each host too. If the
22 administrators of these other hosts decide to (or forget the process),
23 they could bypass our package server and freely install from their own
24 local portage tree.
25
26 But that might not be a real concern. As long as BINHOST is honored,
27 binary packages from the master server will still be used. /usr/portage
28 will be basically unused in this case, but still maintained.
29
30 I guess we're just not lessening the need to avoid maintaining
31 /usr/portage on each host. Is there no way to do that?
32
33 It might not be a big deal, if we make sure that our build server is the
34 source for these syncs.
35
36 DS