From: Christian Bricart <christian@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: do not simply upgrade when "pg-hier" USE flag set
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:49:35
1 Steve Dibb schrieb:
2 > Christian Bricart wrote:
3 >> WARNING!
4 >> I've broken my database with simply upgrading from 8.0.8 to 8.0.9-r1!
5 >>
6 >> This was due to having "pg-hier"-USE-flag defined, which patch and
7 >> USE-flag was dropped for 8.0.9.
8 >> If you have pg-hier set as USE flag you'll have to dump your database
9 >> while still having 8.0.8, then emerge postgresql-8.0.9-r1 and restore
10 >> your database from the dump!
11 >
12 > You should *always* dump your database and restore it when upgrading
13 > anyway.
14
15 true - and done that - but anyway *having* to dump and restore should
16 usually not be needed when doing a PostgreSQL update within a minor
17 release cycle. From 8.0.x to 8.1.y or 8.2.z that's ok and needed by
18 upstream.
19
20 But I think that's the reason why portage blocks here on purpose.
21
22 Christian
23 --
24 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list