From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Backup software
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:49:12
1 Hi there,
2
3 I sent this to the gentoo-user list without much success, I hope in
4 the server list there are more people doing backups... you know what
5 they say: "there are only two kind of people: those doing backups and
6 those that never lost any data". I hope I become one of the third kind,
7 those that never lost any data but are doing backups :o)
8
9 I'm searching for some backup software with the following requirements:
10
11 * Capability to scale from a single machine to backups of full
12 networks, including heterogeneous OS (Linux, Windows,...)
13 * Capability to do full or incremental backups
14 * Network friendly (don't wanna have my network down because the
15 backup traffic ate all the bandwidth)
16 * Possibility of using different backup media (tape, CD, DVD, HD,...)
17 * Ease of maintenance and recovery, preferably with unattended
18 operation (don't wanna be hanging around changing tapes)
19 * Snapshot backups of live file systems (don't wanna have to stop my
20 web/mail/database server to do the backup)
21 * Ready to go (so please, don't tell me to use tar / cpio / mt)
22 * Of course open source
23
24 After a preliminary search, I've found Amanda, Mondo Rescue and
25 Bacula, all of them in portage. I would like to hear experiences, and
26 thoughts about this.
27
28 Thanks in advance, best regards
29 Jose