From: Steve Arnold <sarnold@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] GSP installation server + portage network
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 21:15:35
1 On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:03:43 +0200
2 "Frido Ferdinand" <frido@××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 [snip]
5 > 1. Easy deployment (as in redhat kickstart)
6 > 2. Easy package management (security updates)
7
8 The underlying goals here are what we're looking for, IMHO. But
9 thinking in terms of "package management" is too limiting. At
10 least, that's the gist of what I get from the infrastructures.org
11 stuff. So bump up the level of abstraction a notch or two :) Try
12 thinking in terms of their "virtual machine" instead. In many ways,
13 the implementation has some overlap with what you describe, but
14 there are significant differences as well.
15
16 > I intentionally left configuration management out of this because
17 > my ideas on the above topics are more refined. To start with the
18 > second point, my basic theory is that: Package Management should
19 > be left to Portage. This sounds logical on 1 computer, but what if
20 > you have a network ? Should portage be made network aware ? I
21 > think so. Package management on a network should be as easy as:
22 >
23 > emerge --target="host.domain.tld" emerge apache
24 [snip]
25
26 I think we want to follow the gold server concept here, where the
27 builds would be done via distcc (controlled by the master gold
28 server) and binary packages distributed to specific instances of
29 virtual targets, ie, servers with a specified set of virtual
30 services, a specific class of desktop machine, etc.
31
32 In that scenario, portage would not need to be any more "network
33 aware" than it already is. Most of the tools are already there as
34 well. The new machine boot/install process would be similar to what
35 you describe, except it could be even simpler. See Step 3:
36
37 http://www.infrastructures.org/papers/bootstrap/bootstrap.html
38
39 The only thing we would need to create besides documentation would
40 be a few scripts (maybe integrated with portage, maybe not) and
41 perhaps a web interface for selecting a specific machine build.
42
43 It seems mostly straight-forward (at least conecptually) with maybe
44 the trickiest part being handling the cpu/arch optimizations. I'm
45 not a gcc expert, so it would be nice to know somehting about the
46 performance differences between the following (say for a machine
47 with an Athlon-XP chip in it):
48
49 march=athlon-xp
50 mcpu=athlon-xp
51 mcpu=athlon
52 mcpu=i686
53
54 I guess it's basically a trade-off between the complexity of
55 managing the configuration and build stuff for a given number of
56 machine architectures vs. the performance gains/losses. That seems
57 like the biggest question to me.
58
59 As soon as my stupid desktop is sufficiently rebuilt, I'll hit the
60 wiki...
61
62 Steve
63
64 PS. Somebody let me know if I'm way off base here, but the more I
65 look at the infrastructures.org stuff, the more I think it's a
66 perfect fit with Gentoo (and the more I like it). My goals are the
67 same as theirs, in terms of reducing TCO, sysadmin effort, etc. Our
68 goals here are the same, right? I can't see a better approach right
69 now, so let's find out what parts fit our requirements and get
70 cracking...