From: Dan Podeanu <pdan@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] su program and its limitations.
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:32:44
1 Hey,
2
3 I consider the suse implementation to be broken, while the gentoo one to be
4 correct.
5
6 su is ment to change the user id for the purpose of running a shell.
7 sudo is ment to allow users to execute a limited set of commands with
8 elevated privileges.
9
10 You were using the wrong tool for the job, and gentoo was nice enough to
11 point that :) Sudo is your answer. I also suspect your previous setup could
12 potentially have introduced security issues, depending on how it was done.
13
14 Cheers,
15 Dan.
16
17 ----- Original Message -----
18 From: "Miguel Sousa Filipe" <miguel@×××××××××××.pt>
19 To: <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
20 Cc: <rnl@×××××××××××.pt>
21 Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 7:12 PM
22 Subject: [gentoo-server] su program and its limitations.
25 Hello all,
26
27 The su program in gentoo, that comes with sys-apps/shadow is in my view
28 very limited.
29
30 In a Suse system, I had several system users with /bin/false has a
31 shell, since all they did was use the email, and ftp for site updates.
32 Now that this instalation was migrated to gentoo, I am unable to do
33 things like: su username -c "start aplication", simply because this
34 version of su passes it has an argument to the login shell.
35 And there is no way to override the defined shell.
36
37 Basically, and in short words, this sucks!
38 I had users that were used to execute tomcat, or a sybase database, and
39 now they are obliged to have a shell. There is no need for those users
40 to have a shell.
41
42 More problematic it is with users with mail acounts, that only use the
43 system for mail, but there is sometimes the need to su username -c
44 /bin/bash to do or to check certain things.
45 The reason their shell was /bin/false is because these users are simple
46 office workers who might leave their password in a postit or in a
47 drawer. It is a good idea to limit their shell access to the
48 email/web/database server.
49 (there isn't the need for a big security or containment policy enforcing)
52 The Suse version of su comes with:
53 # rpm -qf /bin/su
54 sh-utils-2.0-106
55 and supports the -s argument for passing a valid shell. (and the man
56 page is very nice)
57 Our (gentoo) su, doesn't support the -s argument.
60 Is there a way that we have a more flexible, or less limited 'su' by
61 default?
62
63 Congrats to the gentoo developers, gentoo is "emerging" in the
64 enterprise world..
68 Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas de Sousa Filipe
69 email: miguel@×××××××××××.pt (PORTUGAL)
70 http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~miguel
71
72 Equipa de Administração de Sistemas