From: "listbot@×××××××.cc" <listbot@×××××××.cc>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Cc: Gentoo Server <gentoo-server@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Hi
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:53:18
1 hi,
2
3 well depends on *what kind* of server you plan to run.
4 mailservers also store the mails, samba normaly 'serves' something... so
5
6 i've got a firewall/gateway machine with apache running.
7 (with php and most libs php depends on for image-/font-handling, etc)
8
9 takes 1.7 gb WITH kernel-sources, helper-apps and the portage cache.
10
11 a 4gb drive should be enough for regular web-hosting.
12
13 if you tweak everything down to minimum you'll just run into security
14 problems (e.g. disable logs) - yeah i know linux can run from a floppy
15 disk ;-) but not gentoo. the ability to compile something from scratch got
16 it's price: compilers, tempfiles, caches, etc.
19 use variable: all i use in my USE variable for the server mentioned above
20 is: "-x -kde -gnome -alsa" (no x, no sound). that's it.
23 best,
24 bernd kilga
27 << http://frame.console.cc/ [ bizcard, pgp public key, phone ]
28 [ complete mission stats available at http://console.cc// ]
31 > Hi all,
32 > this is my first mail to the list, and I want to ask, how many space it
33 > takes a server instalation of gentoo, and somebody know a website with a
34 > recomended "USE" flasgs.
35 >
36 > Thanks in advance.
37 > Eduardo