From: Claudinei Matos <claudineimatos@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo and Xeon CPUs
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 15:48:16
1 Actually I did installed gentoo at one dual Xeon 3.0 but I did
2 installed with p4 support instead of ia64 since I can't boot a ia64
3 livecd to begin gentoo install.
4 I've looked for a livecd for ia64 architeture but I didn't found, so
5 I've tryed to use the amd64 livecd (I read in some places it could
6 work) and it boot up but I can't chroot into the ia64 stage1
7 directory :/
8 So I think you could use one previous debian for ia64 installation for
9 begin gentoo install if you have time to do it. I didn't 'cause I had
10 to put the machine to work quickly.
11 By the way, the server is really fine, without any problem, and I
12 thinking to upgrade it to ia64 as soon as I order another server.
13 About the onboard devices, if you are using a SE7520BD2 from Intel you
14 may just have to compile LSI Pro Logic driver into the kernel and
15 boot-up without initrd or put these modules into the initrd if you
16 want initrd 'cause genkernel doesn't doit by default.
17
18 Cheers to ia64 architeture, let me know if you able to do it.
19
20 Claudinei Matos
21