From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: What provides net (e.g., /etc/init.d/net.eth0)?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 05:00:16
1 Collin Starkweather wrote:
2
3 > I have an interface ath0 set up and would like all the various things
4 > that 'need net' to recognize that as something that provides it.
5 >
6 > Per the Gentoo initscripts docs
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=5
9 >
10 > something in /etc/init.d should have 'provide net' in the depend()
11 > section. But /etc/init.d/net.eth0 has
12 >
13 > depend() {
14 > use hotplug pcmcia
15 > }
16 >
17 > and a grep comes up empty. Where is the provider of the 'net' virtual
18 > dependency defined?
19 >
20 > I put a 'provide net' in /etc/init.d/net.ath0 but when I start it up,
21 > other things that 'need net' such as sshd still don't recognize it as
22 > something that provides the virtual 'net' dependency and try to start
23 > eth0.
24 >
25 > Thanks,
26 >
27 > -Collin
30 Hi Collin,
31
32 Those scripts in /etc/init.d are actual startup scripts that are called by
33 two methods... First there's the Pain-In-The-Ass internal dependencies as
34 you seem to be familiar with and then there's the runlevels... You can list
35 the runlevels by: rc-update -s. Unless you've chaned it, net.eth0 is in the
36 default runlevel...
42 Registered Linux User Number 185956
43 http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
44 Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
45 This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
46 html.
47 12:03am up 1 day, 2:16, 3 users, load average: 0.20, 0.32, 0.28