From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:19:01
1 Michael Stewart (vericgar) wrote:
2
3 > I disagree about removing the apache2 flag. The flag is not used to
4 > select which version of apache to install (portage installs 2.0 by
5 > default as it's the highest stable version), but for the modules that
6 > can support apache-1.3 or apache-2.0. If the apache2 flag is not set,
7 > and someone tries installing a module that supports both, the module
8 > will depend on apache-1.3 (even if apache-2.0 is already installed) -
9 > the modules uses the USE-flag to determine which version to depend on.
10
11 A server profile should be as basic as possible. Choices like which apache
12 version, which version of php, which mta, etc... should be left up to the
13 person building the server, as opposed to what some particular gentoo
14 developers favorite version of X is.
15
16 I would also like, some day, to be able to use catalyst to build server
17 install images without having to hack profiles. It seems to me the proper
18 place to use the apache2 flag would be either in make.conf or
19 package.use... Just a thought.
22 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list