From: "Longman
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Gigabit cards
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:07:47
1 > Wendall Cada wrote:
2 > > I'm looking for recommendations for the best price versus quality
3 > > gigabit ethernet cards. Particularly interested in stability as they
4 > > will be used in a production mail server and production web server.
5 > >
6 > > Wendall
9 > Broadcom or Intel... not that there are really any other
10 > choices. Used
11 > both, never had a problem with either. Some cheap Broadcom
12 > cards can't
13 > do jumbo frames which you're very unlikely to use. That's
14 > pretty much it.
15
16 I've had great luck with the Intel cards: singles, duals and quads. All
17 work great. The tg3 module works for everything else except the stupid
18 PCIExpress card (Belkin) I have for my laptop. That uses the sky2 module
19 and it worked once, I'm sure, maybe even twice. But for servers, the
20 Intels rock. You may even want to try a newer kernel's offloading
21 capabilities with some of the cards.
22
23 Bill
24 --