From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o, gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] SAN Clustered Filesystem
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:02:57
1 Hello all,
2
3 I currently manage about 40 Window, OSX, and Hardened Gentoo servers. I
4 will soon have 12 P4 servers that were previously used as video encoders
5 free as well as an Apple XRaid. With all this spare hardware I thought
6 I'd research setting up a cluster of servers running Apache for load
7 balancing and high availability. I'm also looking into a MySQL cluster,
8 but that wouldn't require a shared filesystem. I'm wondering if anyone
9 has done something like this before and in particular knows a good
10 filesystem to use so that each of the servers can access and potentially
11 write to the same storage array. I've accomplished the same thing with
12 XServes running OSX, but they like to charge you a pretty penny for the
13 XSan software that allows this which I thought I'd try to avoid if
14 possible. So far I've seen only GFS, but haven't gotten much reading
15 done on it yet. Any other tips or insights would be appreciated as well.
16
17 Thanks,
18 Brian
19 --