From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SSH, updates and serial port switches
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:01:49
1 You can also restart ssh from webmin... had to do that on at least one
2 occasion.
3
4 b
8 Joey wrote:
9 > John Barton wrote:
12 >>>
13 >>> I don't think that will work in this case. The master SSH daemon
14 >>> doesn't die. It is the new ones that are launched when a connection
15 >>> is made that are looking for old libraries that causes the problem,
16 >>> AFAIK.
17 >>>
18 >> monit has the ability to "speak" certain protocols, ssh being one of
19 >> them, so it might still help. If a successful connection is never
20 >> made, then monit should be able to tell and restart the dameon anyway.
21 >> It has a lot more functionality then just checking to make sure a port
22 >> is open or the master process is running...
25 > John Barton wrote:
28 >>>
29 >>> I don't think that will work in this case. The master SSH daemon
30 >>> doesn't die. It is the new ones that are launched when a connection
31 >>> is made that are looking for old libraries that causes the problem,
32 >>> AFAIK.
33 >>>
34 >> monit has the ability to "speak" certain protocols, ssh being one of
35 >> them, so it might still help. If a successful connection is never
36 >> made, then monit should be able to tell and restart the dameon anyway.
37 >> It has a lot more functionality then just checking to make sure a port
38 >> is open or the master process is running...
41 > I too occasionally experience losing ssh connection, so I was wondering
42 > if anybody have tried this idea;
43 > keeping a separate copy of statically compiled SSHd activated by
44 > portknock?
45 > The purpose is to have a backup ssh that will work even if updates
46 > causes the main ssh to
47 > malfunction.
48 >
49 > The problem with using utilities to auto-restart crashing daemon is
50 > that in case the crash was
51 > caused by a miss in an attempted attack or exploit, the cracker gets
52 > unlimited retries.
53 > Besides auto-restart won't help if the problem is with the library.
54 >
55 > -Joey