From: Eduardo Tongson <propolice@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:56:33
1 > I believe the snapshot only contains the newest versions of ebuilds?
2
3 No. see
4 <http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/snapshots/2005.1/>
7 > Perhaps i should be clearer:
8 > ...
9 > ...
10 >
11 > 1. Protects the ebuilds of applications the admin can't/doesn't want to
12 > upgrade from dissappearing.
13 > 2. Gives the admin more control over what gets upgraded, i realise
14 > that /etc/portage/ does this but requires explicit action to protect a
15 > version, this is passive.
16 > 3. As an fringe benefit is easily backed up and allows another machine to be
17 > easily brought up with exactly the same applications and versions.
20 As others have said PORTDIR_OVERLAY can accomplish some of what
21 you require especially (1) and (3), even RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM can be
22 used. Though portage.mask can handle (2), a tool to manage all of them
23 and even extend it to work with a releng snapshot is a sure treat.
26 > I feel that i'm not articulating my thoughts very well and i apologise,
27 > perhaps i'll develop something for myself and see if it works before i
28 > trouble you all anymore.
29
30 No problem. mailing lists are meant for these.
31 Good luck with the tool and keep us posted :-)
32
33 --ed
36 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list