From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o, nick.vanvlaenderen@×××××××.be
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] USE flag
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:05:16
1 Nick Van Vlaenderen wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I was wondering if I need the USE flag set with apache and php when I
5 > compile them myself. Why does one need to put things in the USE flag?
6 >
7 > Thanks in advance.
8
9 If you compile it yourself (i.e. /usr/local is the best destination I think)
10 then you don't need to use USE flags. If you use the portage ebuild system
11 to build your software, then you need it. Keep in mind that if you build
12 apache yourself, all ebuilds out there that depend upon apache won't work
13 with your compiled version, and instead will attempt to compile the gentoo
14 version.
15
16 Tom Veldhouse