From: Pandu Poluan <Pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] New Gentoo-Wiki Article (draft): Paravirtualizing Gentoo VMs on XenServer
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:07:10
1 -original message-
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] New Gentoo-Wiki Article (draft): Paravirtualizing Gentoo VMs on XenServer
3 From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman@×××××.com>
4 Date: 2011-07-26 22:42
5
6 >On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
7 >> Hello list!
8 >>
9 >> As I've once promised, here's a (draft) of HOWTO run Gentoo VMs
10 >> paravirtualized on XenServer
11 >>
12 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/User:Pepoluan/Paravirtualized_Gentoo_VMs_on_XenServer
13 >>
14 >> Any inputs?
15 >
16 >Thanks for this, I've got a virtual server using old xen-sources
17 >kernel and previous attempts to use vanilla kernel have failed. Now I
18 >think I'll try my luck again with kernel 3.0 and your guide to see if
19 >I can get it to boot this time... :)
20
21 Glad to be of help. Two notes of caution, though:
22
23 1. I forgot to specify that memory allocation (VMSPLIT) *must* be 3G/1G (3G for userspace, 1G for kernelspace). If not, the VM would mysteriously refuse to start -- without any error messages.
24
25 2. I truly have no idea if my method works for 3.0. It's been tested thoroughlt with 2.6, though (to be precise: 2.6.38 and 2.6.39). I am still hesitant to use 3.0 because I saw people reporting bugs where a program is hard-coded to require kernel==2.6 (instead of requiring kernel>=2.6). IMO, it's not yet safe to tread the 3.0 waters. At least for another month. (As usual, YMMV)
26
27 That said, feel free to point out errors. And if you fail/succeed, please do tell me.
28
29 Happy paravirtualizing! :)
32 Rgds,
33 --