From: jos houtman <jos@×××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: Re: [OT] Mirroring/backing-up a large
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:19:45
1 First of all, Thank you for the many reply's and interesting discussions.
2
3 Let me tell you what we concluded, after some tests it was obvious that
4 10k files per directory was far better then the 50k we use now.
5 The longest rsync on 10K files took 15 seconds, avarage took about 8
6 seconds. That is with the 9TB system using jfs and the 4TB using reiserfs.
7 We intend to use rsync in a combination with marking the folders dirty.
8
9 This method should scale well enough for us, figures indicate we might
10 have 100TB by the end of the year.
11
12 I believe there is no ultimate solution for a company like ours, we are
13 constantly trying to find better solutions, Some new website feature
14 requires other hardware setups for optimality, Bottle necks are common.
15 therefor what would now be the ultimate solution, might not be so in a
16 few weeks.
17 But we will keep looking to better solutions for storage, backup and all
18 other areas. But we will have to do it as problems arise, resources are
19 spread a little thin.
20 The Just in Time concept has penetrated to systemmanagement.
21
22 About spreading the storage over several smaller systems, i do not think
23 this is the way to go in our case. We are allready managing 100+
24 servers, and storage needs will be ever increasing. Where is the end?
25 20x 5TB systems by the end of the year?
26 point is, it is not just the 20 servers you need to maintain, but all
27 the clients as wel (about half the servers in our case adding up to a
28 1000 nfs mounts that could crash and have proofed to crash for no
29 apparent reason over time).
30
31 I also really liked the overlay idea, i never knew it existed :).
32
33 With regards,
34
35 Jos Houtman