From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Gentoo Infrastructure seeking additional help
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:29:25
1 All --
2
3 I'm posting this here given the target audience of this list.
4
5 The Gentoo Infrastructure team is seeking one or two additional volunteers
6 to assist with maintaining the servers that support the Gentoo Linux
7 project. Our primary needs right now are for people with one or more of
8 the following skill sets:
9
10 * Intermediate to expert level knowledge in either bash, python or perl,
11 ideally with a focus on system administration
12 * Expert level knowledge of Linux system administration
13
14 I want to stress that we need people who really know what they're doing. I
15 would love to bring on some more junior people and help them learn and
16 grow. At a later time, I'm hopeful we'll be able to do that. However, our
17 strongest need right now is for experienced folks. We have a network of 20
18 some servers and while some aspects of it are quite sophisticated and
19 complex, other areas still need some love and attention.
20
21 Time requirements are quite flexible, but we typically ask folks to commit
22 to at least 5 hours per week. Most of our communication is done via IRC,
23 so you should be willing to use IRC as well.
24
25 Another, smaller project we need assistance for is tinkering on and
26 improving our eggdrop bot in IRC, which we use to notify us of various
27 things and happenings. This requires at least some knowledge of Tcl. The
28 time requirements for this position are much more flexible as it is more of
29 a project-driven role.
30
31 Benefits for joining the infrastructure project are working with a very
32 fun, laid-back group of people, learning different ways of doing things as
33 well as teaching others your way of doing things and also your own shiny
34 gentoo.org address.
35
36 If you're interested in helping out, please contact me off-list and I'll
37 provide more details.
38
39 Thanks.
40